Developing Client Apps - Binary Tables
MapR-DB provides a C API,
libMapRClient and partially supports the
Apache HBase 1.1 Java APIs for performing operation on MapR-DB binary tables.
The MapR-DB C API,
libMapRClient, runs more efficiently on MapR-DB and
performs faster against MapR-DB tables than the open source library of C APIs,
libhbase, that is used to create and access Apache HBase tables.
libMapRClient header files are in this
MapR-DB also supports all of the Apache HBase 1.1 Java APIs, except where noted in this documentation. For a number of critical Java APIs, for filters, and for comparators, this documentation explicitly lists what is supported, rather than what is not supported.
You can easily port existing applications that use the open-source version of
libhbase or the HBase Java APIs to use MapR-DB binary tables.
- Custom HBase filters are not supported.
- User permissions for column families are not supported. User permissions for binary tables and columns are supported.
- HBase authentication is not supported.
- HBase replication is handled with Mirror Volumes.
- Bulk loads using the HFiles workaround are not supported and not necessary.
- HBase coprocessors are not supported.
- Filters use a different regular expression library from
java.util.regex.Pattern. See HBase Java Regular Expressions Support for a complete list of supported regular expressions.